Property Taxes

When will tax bills come?

Tax bills are mailed by the third Monday in December.  If you do not receive a bill, contact the Town of Black Earth Treasurer.  Failure to receive a bill does not release an owner from the obligation to pay and does not cancel a delinquency.

When do I pay my tax bill?

At least the first installment of the tax bill must be paid by January 31 to avoid interest and penalties.  Payments received or postmarked on or before December 31 will be recorded as paid in the current year.

  • Please double-check the amount due so you are paying at least the correct first installment amount.  You may pay more than the first installment.
  • Make the check payable to the “Town of Black Earth” and mail following the instructions on the tax bill.
  • Enclose the bottom tear-off portion of the bill with your payment – if a receipt is requested, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
  • If you receive an escrow check from your bank and it is made payable to both Town of Black Earth AND you, endorse the check and send it with your tax bill.

Payments made after January 31 should be made payable to the Dane County Treasurer, and mailed to:

Dane County Treasurer
PO Box 1299
Madison,  WI  53701-1299

(A notice of second installment or balance due will be mailed to you in May.  The second installment, or balance due, must be paid by July 31.)

Special note:  Do not wait until the last mailing date for a timely payment.  If something is wrong, you want time to correct the error and avoid a delinquency.  Delinquency consequences are severe.  Specifically, the entire tax balance becomes due immediately, the ability to pay in two installments is lost, and interest and penalty of 1.5% per month (18% per year) are charged until the balance is paid in full.

How do I make an ADDRESS change on my tax bill?

The Town of Black Earth Treasurer or Clerk can help with a billing address update.

How do I make a NAME change on my tax bill?

If you would like the property tax records to reflect a change of name, you will need to record the documentation with the Register of Deeds office.  Email requests should be directed to

Or mailed to:

Dane County Planning & Development
Attention:  Property Listing
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Room 116
Madison, WI  53703

For additional information, visit