The Town of Black Earth is located approximately 20 miles west of Madison. The first Europeans to permanently settle here arrived in 1843. Five years later, the Wisconsin State Legislature created the Town of Farmersville, which was later renamed to Black Earth. Black Earth (population 491) is a rural farming community blessed with natural resources, including fertile soils and the popular Black Earth Creek.
Mahocker Rd / Lefty Lane – Paving Project
Road work to pave Mahocker Rd and Lefty Lane is
expected to begin the week of June 28:
Milling to begin on June 29 and paving to begin on July 1.
They hope to have the binder coat completed before the weekend.
One lane will be kept open for traffic during the duration of the paving project.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
Black Earth Township Approaches 175 Years
What is now the town of Black Earth incorporated with part of the town of Farmersville (along with present-day Berry & the southern half of Mazomanie townships) on August 2, 1848, just months after Wisconsin became a state. The present-day northern half of Mazomanie township was added to Farmersville days later. Two years later in 1850, Berry was removed to become its own town. The population for Farmersville was 206 people, according to the 1850 census.
In the year 2023, the town of Black Earth will be 175 years old if referring back to the original Farmersville incorporation from 1848. For more Black Earth history, please visit blackearthwihistory.org